Golders Green Crematorium, London

Sunday 9 July 2017
I will make no secret of it, I wanted to visit Golders Green Crematorium because this is where Bram Stoker's mortal remains are kept. I wasn't sure how to go about visiting here because it is a working crematorium and I wanted to be respectful. I couldn't find much in the way of information regarding Golders Green Crematorium, so I just decided to go down and see what happened. 

The urn containing the cremated remains of Bram Stoker. 

Golders Green is located in North London and was opened in 1902. Victorian Britain was the golden age of the Cemetery (Brompton, West Norwood, Undercliffe, Arnos Vale etc.) and cremation was not considered as an option of care for the deceased. However, as Victoria's reign began to draw to a close, so did the fixed principle of burying corpses. The Cremation Society of Great Britain was formed in 1874 and country's first Crematorium was opened in Woking in 1878. Interestingly, the Society's president and founding member, Sir Henry Thompson, was cremated at Golders Green in 1904. 

Upon arriving at Golders Green, I followed signage to enquire about visiting the East Columbarium, where Mr Stoker's remains are kept. I was greeted by a very friendly and knowledgeable member of staff, Eric Willis, who led me through the magnificent grounds to the East Columbarium. It is worth noting that you can not enter the East Columbarium alone - you must be admitted by a member of staff as it is locked at all times. 
Staff Member Eric Willis and myself who gave me an interesting tour of the Crematorium. 

It is difficult to describe how I felt upon entering the Columbarium. It is a grand structure with many floors and on each floor there were hundreds of urns on shelves like books on a shelf in a library. Walking up the stairs, past all of the lives of people who had lived and since passed was a curious and exciting feeling indeed. 
Inside the East Columbarium.

Stoker's urn was up a few flights of stairs, directly left of the stairwell. The urn is remarkable and beautiful - it was chilling to be in the presence of such a great author. Eric spoke about the people who come to visit Stoker and his son Noel, whose remains are also here in the same urn. He also read out a poem he had written for the 100th anniversary of Stoker's death. All very interesting. 
Eric's poem about Bram Stoker written for the 100th Anniversary of the author's death.

Although it was my main intention to visit Stoker's remains, I could not help myself from wandering around the Columbarium looking at all of the different urns. Eric revealed the urn next to us had it's residents names written in pencil and this was because they could not afford to have their details engraved. He also led me to the ostentatious memorial of one of the men who died upon the Titanic. Admittedly, this was extremely interesting and a delightful way to spend a day. 

My Dark Travels Rating 10/10
I loved Golders Green Crematorium. It was peaceful and beautiful. My favourite part of the Crematorium was the East Columbarium and I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in history. There were so many lives, so many different stories housed in one tranquil structure - I could have spent days in there, happily reading about those who had lived before me. If you do visit, enquire to see if Eric can give you a guided tour. I was very fortunate that he was available to guide me around the Crematorium and impart his knowledge upon me. His knowledge of crematoria and other facts had me speechless. Thank you, Eric! 
The Crematorium is free to visit and my 'tour' from Eric was also free but this depends upon his availability! You can access it via the Northern Line (Edgware branch) or drive (as I did). I parked in a residential street but do look out for parking restrictions. There is a car park in the Crematorium which is free but spaces may be limited.

DT x
2 comments on "Golders Green Crematorium, London"
  1. Visiting historical places is always so interesting and I also like to visit good historical places or museums. Thanks for sharing good information and knowledge. Cheap parking Luton

    ReplyDelete
  2. We provides affordable Buddhist funeral package & services in Singapore. 3 Days Buddhist Funeral Package at only $5500 nett. Mandai Crematorium Opening Hours

    ReplyDelete